Have you ever accidentally reported a message as junk in iMessage? It can be frustrating when you realize your mistake, especially if it was a message you wanted to keep. Fortunately, undoing the report is not difficult, although it may not be immediately obvious how to do it. Here’s what you need to know.
What Happens When You Report a Message as Junk in iMessage?
First, let’s review what happens when you report a message as junk in iMessage. This action tells your iPhone that the message is unwanted and should be filtered into your Junk folder. When you report a message as junk, it will automatically move the message to the Junk folder and apply filters to prevent future messages from that sender from appearing in your regular inbox. However, this action is reversible if you act fast enough.
How to Undo the Junk Report
If you accidentally report a message as junk and want to undo the action, you’ll need to act quickly. Here’s how:
- Go to the Junk folder in iMessage. You can find this by tapping on the “Filters” button (the three dots) in the top left corner of the screen and selecting “Junk”.
- Find the message you accidentally reported and swipe left on it.
- Select “More”.
- Select “Mark as Not Junk”.
What Happens When You Mark a Message as Not Junk?
When you mark a message as “Not Junk”, it tells your iPhone that the message is not unwanted and should be filtered back into your regular inbox. This action will also remove the filters that were applied to the sender, allowing future messages from them to appear in your regular inbox.
What If You Can’t Find the Message in the Junk Folder?
If you can’t find the message in the Junk folder, it may have been permanently deleted. Unfortunately, there’s no way to recover a deleted message in iMessage unless you have a backup. If you have a backup of your iPhone, you can restore it to a previous date and retrieve the message from there.
How to Prevent Accidentally Reporting Messages as Junk
If you find yourself accidentally reporting messages as junk frequently, there are a few things you can do to prevent it:
- Take your time when swiping left on messages. Make sure you’re selecting the correct option.
- Disable the “Report Junk” feature in iMessage. You can do this by going to “Settings” > “Messages” > “Unknown & Spam” and disabling the “Filter Unknown Senders” and “Filter Spam” options. Keep in mind that this will disable the feature for all messages, not just ones you accidentally report as junk.
- Add important senders to your Contacts list. This will prevent their messages from being filtered into the Junk folder.
Reporting a message as junk in iMessage can be a helpful feature for filtering unwanted messages, but it can also be frustrating if you accidentally report a message you want to keep. Fortunately, undoing the report is not difficult if you act quickly. Remember to take your time when swiping left on messages and consider disabling the “Report Junk” feature if you find yourself accidentally reporting messages frequently.