Latkes are a staple dish in Jewish cuisine, typically eaten during Hanukkah. These potato pancakes are fried until crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, and are traditionally served with sour cream and applesauce. But have you ever thought about stuffing your latkes with something extra special? Enter egg yolk stuffed latkes – a delicious twist on a classic dish.
What are Egg Yolk Stuffed Latkes?
Egg yolk stuffed latkes are exactly what they sound like – latkes that have an egg yolk in the center. The yolk is carefully placed in the center of the latke batter while it’s frying, so it’s perfectly cooked when the latke is ready. The result is a crispy latke with a perfectly runny egg yolk in the center.
How to Make Egg Yolk Stuffed Latkes
Making egg yolk stuffed latkes is relatively easy, but it does require a bit of patience and practice. Here’s a basic recipe to get you started:
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 egg yolks
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, mix together the grated potatoes, onion, beaten eggs, salt, pepper, and flour until well combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add enough vegetable oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Using a spoon, drop a large dollop of the latke batter into the hot oil and flatten it slightly with the back of the spoon. Repeat with the remaining batter, making sure to leave enough space between each latke so they don’t stick together.
- Carefully place an egg yolk in the center of each latke and cover it with a small dollop of the latke batter.
- Cook the latkes for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until they’re golden brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
There are many variations of egg yolk stuffed latkes that you can try. Here are a few ideas:
- Add some cheese to the latke batter for extra flavor.
- Top the latkes with smoked salmon and dill for a fancy brunch dish.
- Serve the latkes with a side of hollandaise sauce for a decadent breakfast.
- Top the latkes with a fried egg and bacon for a hearty brunch.
- Add some chopped herbs like parsley or chives to the latke batter for extra freshness.
Egg yolk stuffed latkes are a delicious twist on a classic dish. They’re easy to make and can be customized to your liking with different toppings or add-ins. Whether you’re looking for a fancy brunch dish or a traditional Hanukkah treat, egg yolk stuffed latkes are sure to impress.