Hungarian Mushroom Soup is a hearty and satisfying dish that is perfect for a cold winter day or any time you crave something warm and comforting. This delicious soup is a classic recipe from the Moosewood Cookbook, a vegetarian cookbook that has become a staple in many kitchens around the world.
The Ingredients You’ll Need
To make Hungarian Mushroom Soup, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 pound of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon of Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
How to Make Hungarian Mushroom Soup
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make Hungarian Mushroom Soup:
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the sliced mushrooms and sauté until they release their juice, about 5 minutes. Remove the mushrooms from the pot and set them aside.
- Add another tablespoon of butter to the pot and sauté the chopped onions until they are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of flour over the onions and garlic and stir well to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes to create a roux.
- Gradually whisk in the 1 cup of milk, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
- Add the 2 cups of vegetable broth, the 1 tablespoon of Hungarian paprika, the 1 teaspoon of salt, and the 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the sautéed mushrooms back to the pot and let the soup simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender and the flavors have melded together.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the 1/2 cup of sour cream. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
The History of Moosewood Cookbook
The Moosewood Cookbook was first published in 1977 by Mollie Katzen, a chef and artist who lived in Ithaca, New York. The book was a hit with home cooks and quickly became a bestseller, thanks to its accessible recipes and charming illustrations.
Since then, the Moosewood Cookbook has sold millions of copies and has been updated and revised several times. It has been credited with popularizing vegetarian cooking in America and inspiring many people to adopt a plant-based diet.
Learn how to make a delicious Hungarian Mushroom Soup Moosewood recipe that is hearty and satisfying. This vegetarian soup is perfect for cold winter days.
Hungarian Mushroom Soup, Moosewood Cookbook, vegetarian, recipe, winter, hearty, comforting, mushrooms, onion, garlic, butter, flour, milk, vegetable broth, paprika, salt, pepper, sour cream