Salisbury steak is a classic dish that is loved by many people. It is a flavorful and hearty meal that is perfect for dinner or lunch. Chef John’s Salisbury steak recipe is an easy and delicious way to make this dish at home. In this article, we will discuss the history of Salisbury steak, the ingredients needed to make Chef John’s recipe, and the step-by-step process for creating this mouth-watering dish.
The History of Salisbury Steak
The origins of Salisbury steak can be traced back to the late 1800s. Dr. J.H. Salisbury, an American physician, believed that a diet consisting of lean meats and vegetables was essential for good health. He developed a minced beef recipe that he called “Salisbury steak” and recommended it as part of his dietary regimen.
Over time, Salisbury steak became a popular dish in the United States, and many variations of the recipe were created. Today, it is a classic comfort food that is enjoyed by people all over the world.
Ingredients for Chef John’s Salisbury Steak
Chef John’s Salisbury steak recipe is easy to make and requires just a few key ingredients. You will need:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
All of these ingredients should be easy to find at your local grocery store.
How to Make Chef John’s Salisbury Steak
Now that you have all of the ingredients, it’s time to start making Chef John’s Salisbury steak. Follow these simple steps:
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, breadcrumbs, milk, egg, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Form the mixture into four to six oval-shaped patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the patties to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes on each side, or until they are browned and cooked through.
- Remove the patties from the skillet and set them aside.
- Add the sliced onion to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes, or until they are softened and lightly browned.
- Add the beef broth to the skillet and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and water.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the skillet and stir until the sauce thickens.
- Return the patties to the skillet and spoon the onion and sauce over them.
- Cover the skillet and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the patties are hot and the sauce is thick and bubbly.
- Serve the patties with mashed potatoes or your favorite side dish.
That’s it! With just a few easy steps, you can create a delicious and satisfying meal that your family and friends will love.
Chef John’s Salisbury steak recipe is a classic and delicious meal that is easy to make at home. With just a few simple ingredients and some basic cooking skills, you can create a flavorful and satisfying dish that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re cooking for your family or hosting a dinner party, Salisbury steak is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. So why not give Chef John’s recipe a try today?